Welcome to my little corner of the world wide web. I have many random thoughts, mostly I am passionate about them if they end up here, but I'm using this as a way to get my randomness out of my noggin'. Plus...it will free up my poor Facebook wall!

Monday, September 20, 2010

My first day back at church....

So, this week it was my goal to try one new church. To go in with an open mind and just enjoy it.

I decided to attend White Cloud United Methodist Church. It happens to be about 2 blocks from my house, and I grew up United Methodist, so it wasn't to far out of the box for me (Ha...I just realized some irony, I'll get to later!)

I was nervous about going to a new church, especially alone, but I decided I need to try something on my own, before trying church's that my friends attend. It was an interesting experience to me.

Upon entering the church, there were two greeters who both stopped to shake my hand and make casual conversation, they were friendly and welcoming. At the next door I was met by a family who was passing out the bulletin. Each of the 5 kids shook my hand and said "Good Morning". Wow...impressed! :) Next, I go find a seat, I had arrived for the 9:30 Praise Gathering, because I was curious what this was all about, but the worship service didn't start until 9:45. I was impressed with the inside of the church, it's a remodel, but I know it happened before I came to town, so it's at least 7 years old. It has a gorgeous cross shaped stained glass window (which has a creepy eye staring at you at the very top), a nice raised platform/stage area, that had a drum set and a couple of electric guitars, the altar and pulpit, and a Fishing Boat sitting among some rocks with a giant flag sticking out of it that said 'Fearless' on it. Huh....I was intrigued. I was looking for something like this, something old fashioned in belief, but more contemporary in the services. I want something my future child will enjoy.


The praise gathering was 15 minutes of singing, basically you shout out your favorite song and hymn number, and we sang it. It was fun, but I like singing hymn's :)

During announcements, I learn that Sunday School is starting again for the fall, and that the local public school's superintendent runs the Sunday School program, (well at least he knows a little about education!), I also learn there is an active Youth Group that does trips and fund raisers. There will be a mission trip in 2011 to Appalachia, there are conferences coming up in Grand Rapids, that all are invited too, they get in guest speakers, and finally I learn that the church is in a transition phase, they are moving from 'Ol School to Contemporary...even better! I'm not thrown into a major shock, but can gradually move into it. So far, I'm impressed, this church has what I am looking for.

Next, the pastor welcomes all the visitors, he explains the church's mission, he invites you to enjoy the service, and if you are looking for a new church family, he will talk with you and answer any questions, etc....

Next on the agenda.....a 10ish minute "Friendship gathering". Now every other UMC church I have been to, you greet your neighbor, but you do it for like a minute, and it's just the people that you can reach from your seat. Not here, everyone is wandering around and hugging and chatting (and gossiping...hehe, at church, that cracks me up, but hey...it happens). During this time, I am approached by no less than 30 people...I repeat 30! Only one recognized me, otherwise, they were introducing themselves, asking how I was, welcoming me, etc. It was amazing! Nothing I expected at all!

The Worship service starts and the pastor is getting into it! By the end of the sermon, he is sweating! He was running around the stage, he was coming up and down the aisles, he was very energetic and very much so believed every single word he spoke, at least, that was the impression I got! His sermon was on "Taking Jesus out of the box" (which is where the irony comes in, this church was a little out of the box for me...and that is the message I got :)) He actually had found a Jesus Action Figure, called 'My Jesus'. I mean, really, who on earth made that toy? But the story was that we, people, make Jesus fit into how we want to act and how we want him to fit into our lives, when it's convenient for us. We keep him in a box, most of the time. When we want to feel all "Godly" and religious, we let him out of the box, but only until we want to be ourselves again. The message is simply, live each day the way Jesus would want you to, not just when it's convenient to you. It was a good message, I, for the first time in 15 some years, understood it, it hit home. No less than 3 times during the entire service did I have tears running down my face.

The service ended with everyone holding hands and singing 'This little light of mine'. I love that song from my childhood. I then realize, we had to all hold hands, I started to move towards the aisle to reach for the hand of the gentleman across the way, he looked at me with big eyes, smiled, grasped my hand and nodded at me while squeezing my hand. To me, that was a welcoming move, it meant a lot, it told me that he would be there to support and help me along my journey, even if all that meant, was to see me at church. It was a nice feeling that I have not had at a church in more than a decade!

On my way out, I saw the Pastor at the door, he realized I was a visitor and he took an extra second to welcome me, ask me how I was, if I enjoyed the service and to wish me a blessed day.

I left that church with a smile on my face, and a new attitude. I could see myself and my children going to this church for a long time. It was exactly what I wanted and what I needed.

At this point, I am very undecided if I need to try other churches. For now, I'll be back there next week, and probably through Ocotober, and see how I feel then. I'll blog each week about it, and then I can go back and re-read my thoughts and feelings and see what, if anything, has changed. At that point, I should be able to decide, if it's time to move on, or if I feel like I am in a good place!

I just feel so great about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment