Now that I've tossed out my stories of my lifetime of fatitude and what I am finally doing to tackle those. I think I should tell you why it took me so long to try a program like this.
Low-Calorie Rapid Weight Loss Programs in general, are a fraud and don't work, or at least don't work once you are done with the program. You live on Meal Replacements only. You get shakes, bars and soup. You are told to excercise and attend meetings, but it's not a requirement. These programs, help you loose weight very fast, but I do not think they are safe. The couple I have checked into, do not provide you with the nutrients your body needs every day, there is no long term maintenance program, and the classes are weigh-ins and to see how your week went...nothing more.
Gastric Bypass - Is obviously a very effective way to loose weight. I think it is okay if someone really needs it. If they truly have tried all other options and couldn't loose the weight for one reason or another, or if medically it's the only way they can even get out of bed, or they medically need to loose weight fast for other dyer health reasons. I DO NOT think it is okay for someone to be allowed to have the surgery who hasn't tried to loose weight through other options, such as one of the many Diet's or a Rapid Weight Loss Program. Telling me you are having gastric bypass in 3 days as you inhale a double cheeseburger with bacon, does nothing but tell me you will fail!
Programs such as Nutrasystem, Atkins Diet, South Beach, etc...the diets anyone can do over the counter on their own. They don't work. They work for a minute, until you get bored of them. If you are highly motivated, they might work, but if that was true, you probably wouldn't be obese to begin with.
The new diet pill Ambrien - I have a friend that has taken this pill and lost a lot of weight, really fast, she was loosing it as fast as I was. She looks amazing and says she feels amazing. Now you can only take this pill for 2 or 3 months, and from what I'm told it makes you just not hungry. It doesn't have any nutrients, and now you just aren't eating more than very little once or twice a day. Hmmmm....although effective, this can't be healthy for you.
Weight Watchers - I believe this is the most effective, non-medical way to loose weight. It did work for me, and if the monthly meetings weren't so expensive, I think I could have done very well on this program, although a slower process, you still get good foods, there are no medications, you get support and excercise. Thinking back, had I just done the monthly meetings instead of the online program, I would probably finally be to the weight I am now, but I would still have 45 lbs to go.
So, why am I doing a rapid weight loss program if these are my opinions on the matter? When we checked this program out, we learned that it includes every bit of our nutritional requirements in order to maintain a healthy weight and blood sugar levels and give us the energy to excercise. Plus, we get to eat some real food. It's not a starve or deprive yourself. We can eat Fruits and Vegetables, and if I put the right amount of effort in, I can have lean meats. I do miss Dairy, but I can add little amounts of fat free cheese and other dairy to things to make my meals if I want, I just have to claim the calories. It offers support, every week, from an instructor who I can contact every day if I want to, from a physician who is available if I have any problems at all, from an amazing group of people, who have come to be my friends. It will also offer on-going support, and I will forever be able to purchase the Meal Replacements if I ever need to loose another 5 lbs, or because I do enjoy them, if I want a low calorie option for breakfast, lunch or a snack. This program teaches me about living, and teaches me how to eat right, but still have a normal life. I can have pizza, but now I know how much is good. In fact, I look at things now and think "that looks awesome, but it will mean 30 minutes on the treadmill...no thanks". I get support from past members. I ran into someone in the locker room just yesterday, she has been out of the program for a year, has done 3 triatholons and many marathons and looks amazing! It was motivating to talk to her, and she just offered it up. We talked about my struggles and successess...it was great! The entire complex that we attend is supportive and doesn't judge. That is the motivation I need....it's the kick in the rear to keep me going! I work with a lot of people that are in the program or know that I am, and we watch out for each other all the time. This program's ratings are that during the 20 week program, the average weight loss is 17% and an 85 % success rate at still keeping the weight off a year later, the highest in the state. At week 14, I am at 21% of my weight lost and my husband is at 24%. Those are some good statistics.
If in a year, I have gained my weight back, you can say "I told you so" but I know that I won't! All other programs have failed me so far, and I believe that if I had tried one of the other Rapid Weight Loss programs, I wouldn't feel the support I have, nor learned the things I have. I would have failed. I don't know if all of this makes me a hypocrite or not, but I am comfortable with my decision, and honestly believe this is a lifestyle change for me...and NOT a diet!
Here's to success and a long, happy, healthy skinnier life! :D
No comments:
Post a Comment